Do you ever wonder which disinfection method is right for you? Below you will find the differences between chlorine, ozone, and UV.
Chlorine is a powerful oxidizer and is very effective at treating pathogens such as bacteria and viruses. However, chlorine can result in various issues if levels become higher than what is currently regulated and produce disinfection byproducts. Applying additional treatment, such as activated carbon, may be needed to lower or reduce the levels of chlorine in the water supply. Chlorine is known to irritate skin, nose, ears, and dry out or leave a chemical film on the skin.
Ozone is recognized among the strongest, fastest disinfectant and oxidant for water treatment. In addition, ozone can treat all water-borne pathogens, while others cannot. Ozone is most commonly generated by exposing a stream of air to either UV light or a high voltage electrical discharge. It is produced onsite by corona discharged in dried air or oxygen; and because ozone is very unstable, it cannot be stored or packaged.Ozone disinfection leaves no remaining tastes, odors, or byproducts after treatment. Ozone is also environmentally friendly and requires very little maintenance.
UV light is produced when an electric arc is struck in mercury, in traditional lamps. UV destroys the DNA and RNA in the organism so they can no longer multiply. For this reason, UV disinfection is considered to be an effective treatment for water contaminated with bacteria and parasites. However, a more powerful UV system is needed when treating viruses. Many end users select a UV system because of its ability to disinfect water without removing any beneficial minerals in the water and without adding any chemicals. The effectiveness of UV disinfection will depend on the clarity of the water, the intensity of the UV light, contact time and the wavelengths being generated.